Thursday 9 January 2020

Milk, cheese, cream, butter and yoghurt , why I love Scotland

If I talk about foods what I enjoyed most in Scotland was milk, cheese, cream, butter and yoghurt. those are the staple foods for me. Especially, milk and yoghurt are standing regularly in my fridge. When I got to a supermarket in Scotland the first time, found various types of dairy products. To be honest, I prefer living in Scotland to Japan!

I ate every day those foods and tried different cheese or butter in those Scottish days. There was a big- selection. (compare to Japan's one) Their quality was excellent! I loved to go to the grocery store near the flat I stayed in the west-end in Glasgow. The shop is called "The roots and fruits" I used to get twice a week, which was a small shop, but it was comfortable to see around. More than that, able to buy fine local foods.

Personally, I think that many Japanese people like low-fat types or prefer not to have dairy products. I see often that low-fat milk is more purchased in Japan's supermarkets.  Maybe that could be heavy for Japanese people's stomachs. That's why not so popular, maybe.

Against them, I like the fatty one. Double cream, clotted cream as well... ( I never see in Japan) and love butter, which is expensive in my country. The same amount should be price double in Japan. Particularly I consumed butter as much as I could although then I was a poor student. It was a small joy for me in those days. I very often baked the Scottish shortbread. The flat's landlady told me about the traditional portion of flour, butter and sugar.

Their dairy products would be usual and even ever thought like me to do to the local people. For me, that was great and the one big happiness. Their standard is unusually nicer than the Japanese one. They must recognise how fantastic dairy products your country have! That's the one big reason why I love Scotland.

Cows in Inverness that I saw.